Country Director: Bangladesh
Job Overview and Core Purpose
The Country Director is responsible and accountable for leading CBM Global’s strategy and operations in Bangladesh and for delivering the organization’s mission and vision. CBM Global is a dual mandate organization, practicing and promoting disability inclusion in development and humanitarian contexts. As the leader of the country team, the Country Director has a central and strategic role within CBM Global.
Success requires leading and building a high-performing, diverse team; inspiring and aligning this team and other internal stakeholders behind a clearly articulated strategy for the country programme; developing and winning support for a growing portfolio of programme work, across all three vehicles of change detailed in the organization’s programmatic strategy; and developing strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders that are critical to success.
Salary range: Competitive
Responsibilities and Duties (this is a summary of the role and not limited to perform):
1. Strategy, relationships and representation
a) Lead on developing and delivering the country strategy to achieve the CBM Global mission. Align it to the specific country context; CBM Global’s dual mandate (development and humanitarian); the CBM Global Federation strategy; to the programmatic strategy and three vehicles of change (field programmes, advisory, and advocacy); and to the strategies of the thematic areas.
b) Build and maintain authentic partnerships with stakeholders, in particular with the disability movement, ensuring our work reflects and is responsive to the needs of people with disabilities.
c) Develop highly constructive relationships with CBM Global Members and Technical Teams. Mobilise and coordinate their input and support so that it most effectively supports the realization of the country’s strategy.
d) Represent CBM Global in the country. Enhance the organization’s reputation and brand through maintaining positive relationships with other stakeholders, including government, donors, UN bodies, OPDs, INGOs, local
NGOs and the public; and by promoting the organization through appropriate channels.
e) Establish and lead the Country Coordinating Forum and Country Advisory panel. Ensure these bodies add value and fulfill their purpose in line with their agreed terms of reference.
2. Partnerships and programmes
a) Identify and build relationships with partners who share CBM Global’s vision and complement our development and humanitarian programme work. Foster a model and approach to partnership that aligns with and supports our partnership principles.
b) Work with partners to develop and deliver a portfolio of development and humanitarian programme work, across all three vehicles of change detailed in CBM Global’s programmatic strategy. Champion an approach that embraces CBM Global’s Programme Quality Framework; a three-way model of collaboration; and partnership with the disability movement.
c) Identify funding opportunities for CBM Global’s development and humanitarian work. Actively support fundraising and cost recovery, including fundraising from institutional donors that is led by CBM Global Member Teams. Raise funds from in-country sources.
3. Team leadership
a) Lead the Country Team. Clearly articulate a compelling vision and direction for the team. Inspire and direct the team towards achieving this vision.
b) Build a high-performing team through management, coaching, and mentoring.
c) Ensure human resource policies and procedures are in place and adhered to.
d) Take responsibility for safety and security of staff and visitors and ensure compliance with up-to-date SOP’s and the Security Plan.
e) Ensure an inclusive and accessible workplace, with a working culture, environment and policies that enable the full participation of people with disabilities.
4. Finance and fiduciary responsibilities
a) Ensure a high standard of financial and budget management and full compliance with CBM Global’s finance standards and procedures. Maintain management controls for accountability and efficient use of funding.
b) Oversee the CBM Global risk management framework at the country office level and regularly update and report on it.
c) Ensure in-country compliance with all statutory requirements.
5. Advocate, champion, and model disability inclusion to promote inclusion of people with disabilities in their communities and in all aspects of society in Bangladesh.
6. Accountable for ensuring that all children and adults who come into contact with CBM Global’s programmes, are safeguarded to the greatest extent possible. Responsible for ensuring compliance with all aspects of the CBM Global Safeguarding and Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, abuse, and harassment policies and associated standards and procedures.
Safeguarding Role Management, Leadership roles:
Understands what safeguarding means for the teams/departments they manage and the work they do. Understands power imbalances and ways in which team/organizational culture may be reinforcing negative stereotypes and biases, and the impact of these dynamics on the vulnerable and marginalized.
Leads teams to develop the necessary skills and expertise to undertake their roles and responsibilities for safeguarding. Explicitly and visibly challenges power imbalances, inequalities, gender bias, and discrimination in organizational systems and processes. Leads on organizational change within their teams to embed safeguarding in their work and processes. Develops indicators and frameworks for measuring how well teams are delivering on roles and responsibilities for safeguarding. Creates organizational mechanisms that strengthen accountability to communities, Members, and donors on safeguarding.
Holds teams accountable for delivering on safeguarding standards. Articulates and promotes the strategic importance of safeguarding all aspects of the organization’s work. Demonstrates leadership in ensuring that staff, Programmes, and operations are safe for all Programme participants, staff, and volunteers.
Key outcomes expected from this role
1. A clear country strategy agreed upon and actively supported by all stakeholders.
2. A growing portfolio of programme work that is developed and delivered to an exemplary standard, achieving agreed outcomes and impact.
3. A high-performing, agile country team with a culture that reflects CBM Global’s values and champions the foundation principles detailed in the Operating Model.
4. Strong financial discipline aligned with CBM Global’s standards.
5. CBM Global and its work with partners is recognized in Bangladesh as a driving force for promoting the inclusion of people with disabilities in their communities and in all aspects of society.
All of the following requirements are essential unless marked with a * when they are desirable.
CBM Global welcomes applicants from diverse backgrounds and people with lived experience of disability.
Experience and knowledge
· A minimum of 5 years experience at a senior management level in an international development or humanitarian organization with a track record of success.
· Proven experience in strategic planning and project cycle management.
· Proficiency and proven experience in financial management, systems, and controls, including institutional grant management.
· Proven skills in advocacy with a track record of building and managing effective partnerships and strategic alliances and influencing policy change.
· Experience and a track record of identifying fundraising opportunities; successfully securing grants from donor organizations and of building productive relationships with donors.
· Knowledge of disability issues and a rights-based approach. Lived experience of disability an advantage.
· Outstanding interpersonal, relationship-building, and employee coaching skills.
· A participative management style, involves staff in decision-making processes and makes profitable use of existing competencies
· A self-starter. Proactive, resourceful, and entrepreneurial.
· Diligent, persistent with a can-do, positive attitude.
· Open, clear and inclusive communicator, with the ability to position CBM Global in the public sphere and reach a wide range of stakeholders
· Media experience.*
· Passionate about effecting change at a global level for and alongside people with disabilities and their communities, with a deep commitment to the vision of CBM Global and sympathetic to our Christian values.
Qualifications, training, and education
· Relevant academic degree (for example, in development, social sciences, etc.), and/or equivalent background, qualification, and experience.
· As part of its commitment to its work with people with disabilities, CBM Global aims to help successfully employ and retain people with disabilities and those with health conditions. We have a comprehensive equality and diversity policy.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Shortlisting and Interviews
CBM Global is an equal opportunities employer, committed to ensuring all applications are treated fairly.
All applications are subject to our shortlisting process; if you are shortlisted, we will contact you and invite you to attend an online interview. You will also be advised at this point if there will be any skills tasks to complete as part of the recruitment process.
Diversity Policy Statement
Everyone has the right to be treated with consideration and respect. CBM Global is committed to achieving a truly inclusive environment for all, by developing better working relationships that release the full potential, creativity, and productivity of each individual. CBM Global aims to ensure that all staff, volunteers, donors, partners, contractors, and the general public are treated fairly. This will be regardless of sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, race (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, or national origin), disability, medical status, age, religion or belief, political opinion, social or economic status, or ex-offender status.
CBM Global is committed to the safety and best interest of all children and vulnerable adults accessing CBM Global-supported services and Programmes. Relevant background checks including working with children, police, and reference checks will be completed prior to the preferred candidate’s employment being confirmed.
All applicants must have the right to work in the relevant country. All offers of employment are made subject to the following criteria: Proof of eligibility and satisfactory employment screening, and three references satisfactory to CBM Global.
How to apply
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
More information about CBM Global Disability Inclusion can be found by visiting the CBM Global website: www.cbm-global.org
Closing date: 5th December 2023
1. Use this link: https://cbmglobal.peoplehr.net/Pages/JobBoard/Opening.aspx?v=198d93f9-869f-49cc-af3b-0ffa07510186 to apply
2. Prepare your CV in English please, as you will need to upload it into our ATS system.
3. Download and complete the Application Form in English please, as you will need to upload it into our ATS system.
4. No email applications will be considered. If you have any problems with the system, please redirect them to our email address email@example.com with the following format: (Family Name First Name, Position Name, Bangladesh)
We also welcome informal inquiries, which should also be sent to the above email address.