Ukraine Crisis: CBM Global Statement
March 9, 2022
CBM Global is deeply concerned by the war on Ukraine, the tragic loss of life and human suffering that it is already causing, and the wider impact it may have on the global economy, further affecting the most vulnerable and at risk communities in the poorest countries of the world.
We stand in solidarity with the people of Ukraine and call on all parties involved to abide by International Humanitarian Law, ensure the full protection and dignity of civilians and the respect of their human rights.
CBM Global supports the statements made by its partners:
- The European Disability Forum (EDF) who call for all parties to ensure the protection and safety of persons with disabilities in Ukraine, by respecting:
- their obligations under the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, in particular Article 11 on situations of risk and humanitarian emergencies.
- The UN Security Council Resolution 2475 (2019) on Protection of Persons with Disabilities in Conflict.
- International Humanitarian Law and the Humanitarian Principles.
Read EDF’s full statement here
- The International Disability Alliance (IDA) who call on all humanitarian actors, including state actors and the European Union (EU) who are actively involved in providing aid to Ukraine:
Full statement by IDA is here
Equally CBM Global echoes the calls by the UN Special Rapporteur on Disability Rights and Special Rapporteur for Older Persons for accountability and no impunity for violations, and their reminder to prioritize the evacuation of individuals who are older and those with disabilities, as well as the requirement that parties to the conflict establish agreements to safely remove them from besieged and encircled areas.
Read the full statement here
Lastly, CBM Global would like to encourage all actors involved in the humanitarian response to support local responders, particularly in the conflict areas, and to follow the commitments expressed in the Call to Action promoted by the Disability Reference Group at the February 2022 Global Disability Summit: https://www.internationaldisabilityalliance.org/sites/default/files/c4a_global_disability_summit_2022_02_11.pdf
Back to News